Wednesday, April 06, 2005

I Don't Know Jack

I got an email today that I thought was a joke, asking if I knew about a new radio station in San Diego, 100.7 Jack FM. I figured a friend had sent it to me as a joke, knowing that I had just barely lost Supermouth. That assumption was thrown out when a quick visit to http://www.histar.com was redirected to the Jack web site. It looks like the only thing they kept was Jeff and Jer (Jack is not an idiot). Other than that, my best guess is everybody else got the can and they've switched to an all music format. I listened for a couple of songs, and the format is definitely different from Star...they're playing a lot more old stuff, with seemingly more variety. But the big change is no yap yap except for the morning show.

I must admit, I regard this as one more feather in my cap of "losing Supermouth was a blessing in disguise." In retrospect, one could view their most recent contests (a months-long competition where a listener becomes a DJ and a $20,000 hardly stealthy marketing campaign sending people out to search for and publicize the "Star 100.7 Fugitive") as desperate last attempts to gain ratings before throwing in the towel.